Friday, May 4, 2012

How to Get the Perfect Watercolor Wet-Look

Rose Bowl in the Rain
A light drizzle fell over the San Gabriel Valley Tuesday morning. The thought crossed my mind that this would be a great day to go out and paint.

I returned to a site I've painted many times; the Rose Bowl. I was greeted by major construction in progress there. The press boxes and private suites were covered with iron and scaffolding. It appears that the Bowl is also being extended for additional audience seating.

The rain didn't prevent me from working, nor did it stop the hard-hat workers. The joggers were out as well as the golfers. I was visited by one of the construction workers who talked about retiring so he could pursue his passion.  Several motorists also asking directions for an event in the area.

This parking lot is west of the Rose Bowl. It gets very warm to work on in the hot summer sun, but there are trees scattered about that will provide shade. One warning though, this is a popular spot where people come to teach their family and friends to drive. Today, there was a lady learning how to drive a stick shift car. I kept a close eye on her and was amused by her jerky starts and sudden stops. I also was prepared to grab my easel and run if the car got away from her.

I discovered, as I'm sure you can imagine, that painting in the rain is the perfect way to get the wet look in watercolors.

No comments: